Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cross-stitch Pendants in the works...

OK so it's been a loooong time since I've made porcelain pendants. I only made them for one of my retail shops by request a couple of years ago and really lost interest last year when the production for my functional work picked up.  Frankly, I'll admit that jewelry seems to be that go-to thing for ceramic artists wanting to appeal to a different kind of clientele.  People at craft fairs often hum and haw about whether they have the cupboard space for another mug or a bowl, but when it comes to jewelry, the impulse to buy something they can wear seems to be an 'easier sell'.  Now I know what all you jewelry designer's are thinking- the market is extremely competitive out there and that most craft fairs are totally inundated with jewelry.  I'll be the first to say that I'm no jewelry designer, per say.  But every now and again I'll make something that is small and lovely and think- wouldn't that look lovely in soft white porcelain with a pretty silver chain. So that's what happened here, I started silk-screening these lovely little cross-stitch designs and before I knew it, I was making porcelain pendants again. 

**These aren't for sale quite yet... this was the first batch and I think the screen needs to be a little darker and possibly a few more colours (black?).  What do you think?  Feed-back would be swell!

4 comments:

vicki hartman said...

i think these are super sweet. they are, for me, one of those rare items that appeal to a broad audience because they are a current take on an important tradition. i like that. i think gray and lilac would be nice.

becka said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE these! They're so delicate and beautiful, I love the simplicity of them. I like these ones but I agree that black (or a charcoal?) would be really great, too. Added to the wishlist!

Evie said...

ooo i love the subtly of this pretty blue on the white, it gentle and soft a contrast to the hard surface. very pretty.

Heather G. said...

I would also like to see this in a charcoal. I am a cross-stitcher and would LOVE to have one of these